Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pumpkin Cheesecake



Hey there! I've been on the pumpkin kick for the last week or so. Maybe you've noticed it's been quite pumpkin-y? It's so awesome I can pretend it's fall here in Peru :) 

While looking for pumpkin pie recipes, I stumbled on this pumpkin cheesecake recipe over at The Crunchy Moose by Ashlee and I decided it was an even better idea! Her post has pictures of the steps so I didn't include those here. 

Ingredients
- 2 cups of vanilla cookies (or graham crackers)
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 6 oz. of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 chia egg or an egg white
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk*
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin puree

* The original recipe calls for heavy cream but I used evaporated milk and it still turned out. 
** These are approximate measurements

Prepping...
the crust
Blend cookie crackers well in a food processor until they're fine crumbs. Here you could also blend in some kind of nut, if you'd like. Mix in the cinnamon.Then melt butter until liquid and mix into the crumb mixture. Form crust evenly into an greased pie tin.

the filling
Mix the following in a blender: cream cheese, sugar, corn starch, vanilla, eggs, and chia egg. 
(In this step it's really important to make sure the cream cheese is went blended. I don't have an electric/hand blender, so I just mixed by hand. I learned that it doesn't melt into the cake, as I thought it would. You can see what I mean in the photos.)
Then hand mix the milk and puree into the mixture. 
Now, pour the filling into your pie tin.

Bake...in oven for about an hour. I'm not sure what temperature (our oven is only on or off. really.) but I imagine it would be around 350*. It should be lightly browned around the corners, the crusted baked, and the filling slightly jiggly. 
Let it cool for a bit, then pop in the fridge for an hour or 2 to finish it off. 

For my first ever cheesecake, it turned out pretty taste-y. The crust is sooo delicious! The filling was good too, but I learned that the cream cheese really needs to be blended well. Here are some photos:









Thanks for stopping by :) Have you made any pumpkin recipes this season??

Signature photo Signature_zpsabfa935f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment