Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Recipe: Passion Fruit cake

Hooray for passion fruit!
Passion fruit is a very acidic and tart fruit which grows in hot areas. The first time I tried passion fruit was in Peru, where it is yellow and known commonly as ´maracuya´. Then I was excited to see it was also in Hawaii. My friend shared that she eats purple ones in Asia. I was curious exactly where it grows, so I looked it up. Apparently passion fruit is common in many areas of the world and comes in many varieties of shape, size, and color. 



The reciepe:
Living in Peru, maracuya is easily accessible so I created a simple receipe to make at home. I don´t have a whole oven at home, just a stove-top, so I found a plain chocolate cake already made. Here´s a receipe for chocolate cake if you want to make it from scratch first: Chocolate Cake (maybe better in flat pan instead of bundt)
Other ingredients:
* milk
* 1/2-3/4 bar of sweetened chocolate
* 2 maracuyas
* 1/4 cup of sugar
* 1/2-1 cup of water

 1. Cut your chocolate cake into serving size pieces. This ensures that every piece will soak in all the chocolate and maracuya sauces! 


2. Take out the insides of the maracuyas and simmer in sauce pan with water and sugar, while stirring.




3. Melt chocolate in another pan, slowing adding milk so it´s a more liquid-y consistency.
                                                                                                                                                                                4. Pour on chocolate sauce over the cake. I recommend even more than is in the picture :)
   

5. Then pour the maracuya mix over it.

 6. Enjoy!


Whether it be a maracuya sour or maracuya dessert, I definitely recommend you find it and try this fruity delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment